5-Axis CNC Machining
Five-axis CNC machining offers our customers a variety of advantages over the more common 3-axis machining:
- Most parts can be fully machined with a single setup. This reduces cycle time and lets us produce more parts faster, so we can complete your order sooner. Using only one setup also increases the accuracy of details on the different sides or planes of the part.
- Highly contoured, close tolerance surfaces are easier to machine. Smaller diameter cutters can be used to produce fine details that would be difficult or impossible to achieve on a standard 3-axis machine. Shorter end mills can be used with 5-axis CNC machining, allowing for reduced cutter deflection for increased accuracy and seamless blends of complex surfaces. Shorter end mills also allow for faster stock removal during the rough machining phase. Undercuts that would have been difficult or impossible to machine using a standard 3-axis machine can be created easily with a 5-axis machine.
- Holes or features that must be at compound angles to each other are more easily, quickly, and accurately drilled or machined with 5-axis CNC machining. With a standard 3-axis machine, creating multiple setups to handle these complex details can take hours.
This video demonstrates the speed and versatility of our 5-axis CNC machines. For more information, contact us today.
SAS invests in the tools and people necessary to provide the highest quality precision machining services. Five-axis systems can machine multiple sides of a part with a single setup, which is ideal for quickly creating highly complex parts that demand extreme precision. Our 5-axis CNC equipment can machine components made of titanium, stainless steel, InconelÂ® alloys, polycarbonate, polyvinylchloride (PVC), acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), polyetheretherketone (PEEK), and many other materials.
We operate multiple 5-axis CNC machines:
GF Agie Charmilles Mikron HSM 600UÂ 5-axis high-speed mills
- Spindle speeds up to 36,000 rpm
- Equipped with 7-pallet changer systems to speed production and increase efficiency, so youâ€™ll get parts faster when you need them most
- Machining envelope: 18 inches in diameter x 18 inches high for handling larger components
GF Agie Charmilles Mikron HPM 800U HDÂ 5-axis high-performance machining center
- Spindle speeds up to 20,000 rpm
- Large work envelope (31.5-in x 22.6-in x 21.6-in)
GF Agie Charmilles Mikron HSM 400U LPÂ 5-axis high-speed mills
- Equipped with 20-pallet changer
- Spindle speeds up to 42,000 rpm
- Large work envelope (15.76-in x 9.45-in x 13.79-in)